C-L-X® Type MC (XHHW-2)
600V Control Cable — Aluminum Sheath
Multiple Copper Conductors/90°C Wet or Dry Rating
CLX Cable Applications
C-L-X® Type MC cables with the impervious, continuous, corrugated aluminum sheath are recommended as an economical alternate to a wire in conduit system.
They are authorized for use on services, feeders and branch circuits for power, lighting, control and signaling circuits in accordance with Articles 330 and 725 of the NEC.
CLX cables may be installed indoors or outdoors, in wet or dry locations, as open runs of cable secured to supports spaced not more than six feet apart, in cable tray, as aerial cable on a messenger, in any approved raceway, direct burial, or encased in concrete. C-L-X Type MC cables are also approved for use in Class I & II, Division 2, Class III, Divisions 1 and 2, and Class I, Zone 2 hazardous locations – NEC articles 501, 502, 503 and 505.
• Conductors: Bare soft annealed copper, Class B stranding per ASTM B-8.
• Insulation: X-Olene per ICEA S-73-532/ NEMA WC57 and UL 44, Listed UL Type XHHW-2.
• Conductor Identification: Base Colors and tracers.
• Assembly: Per UL 1569 with binder tape overall.
• Sheath: Close fitting, impervious, continuous, corrugated aluminum C-L-X per UL 1569. Exceeds grounding conductor requirements of NEC Table 250.122.
• Jacket: Black Okoseal (PVC) per UL requirements for Type MC Cables.
- UL Listed as Type MC cable and Marine Shipboard Cable, E38916 and E137931.
- UL Listed for cable tray use, direct burial and sunlight resistant.
- Conforms to applicable requirements of IEC 600092 – 350 (1000V)
- CSA C22.2 No. 123 listed as RA90, FT4 and LTGG (-40°C).
- Passes the IEEE 383-1974 and IEEE 1202 vertical tray flame tests.
- Passes the 210,000 BTU/hr ICEA T-29-520 Vertical Tray Flame Test.
- Complete pre-packaged, factory-tested wiring system — color coded.
- CLX cables are quality control inspected to meet or exceed applicable UL standards.
- 90°C continuous operating temperature in all types of installations.
- 130°C emergency rating.
- 250°C short circuit rating.
- Good EMI shielding characteristics.
- Impervious, continuous metallic sheath excludes moisture, gases and liquids.
- Reduced sealing fitting requirements in Class I, Division 2 or Zone 2 hazardous locations (NEC Section 501.5(E) or 505.15(C).
- Lower installed system cost than conduit or EMT systems.
- Provides excellent grounding safety.
- Excellent compression and impact resistance.
- Continuous long lengths.
- Installation temperature of -40°C or °F.
- UL and American Bureau of Shipping listed as CWCMC Type MC.